Long Ago (35 images)
The Hollywood Sign used to say HOLLYWOODLAND to advertise a new housing development at the top of Beachwood Canyon, a “superb environment without excessive cost on the Hollywood side of the hills” – the brainchild of Harry Chandler, the owner of the Los Angeles Times. That was 1923. In 1949, the City of Los Angeles repaired and rebuilt the sign without the last four letters. This was no longer a housing development. In 1937, Aldous Huxley – "Brave New World"...